Rewarding our pupils
At Winifred Holtby Academy we strive to reward our pupils for achievement where possible and have systems in place to celebrate success.
We currently use the Vivo Edge web platform, which allows staff to allocate points based on behaviour and achievement throughout the Academy day and during extracurricular activities.
Staff will reward Vivo points and pupils will be able to access their progress through their online web account. Pupils will then be able to redeem their points for prizes via the Vivo shop, where they can access a range of reward prizes despatched directly to them.
Pupils will be rewarded for their positive attitudes towards learning and promoting the core values of the Academy in the following ways:
- Academic achievement
- Excellent effort
- Outstanding work
- Contribution to class progress
- 100% weekly attendance
- Participation in House activity
- Participation in Community life
- Tutor equipment check
- Pupil Leadership
- Contribution to Charity Work
- Promoting the House ethos
- Good citizenship in the Academy
- Good citizenship beyond the Academy
- Performing a prefect responsibility
- Taking an active role in Assembly
House rewards will be handed out every half term during House Celebration Assembly. Tutors will be asked to nominate one person for each of the following categories:
- 100% Attendance
- Pupil Achievement
- Most Improved Pupil
- Sporting Achievement
- Pupil Contribution
- Staff Contribution
- Best House Attendance
- Best Tutor Attendance
The winners of the categories will receive a certificate and a set number of Vivos.
- Each member of staff has 1 Golden Ticket each half term.
- Staff award their Golden Ticket to a pupil who goes above and beyond or excels in a particular piece of work. The ticket will be designed to fit into the staff lanyard so that it is visible and once awarded the pupil name is written on it and it is then signed by the teacher.
- Pupils take the Golden Ticket to Mr Fernie and in his absence another VP, who will have a discussion with them about their success.
- Golden Tickets also carry 100 Vivos which will be awarded to individual pupils.
- Each half term all tickets go into a prize draw.
- All winners from the half term are invited to a special assembly on the penultimate day of the half term. 1st prize - £50, 2nd - £30 and 3rd - £20 given in “I Love To Shop" vouchers that can be used in a range of well-known shops and online.
Postcards of Commendation
Faculty leads will also nominate pupils who have displayed outstanding attitudes to learning and progress during the course of each term.
Year 11 Star of the Week
Awarded for being a star. Only 30 rosettes to be won. Special rewards are given to the winners.
The Celebration Evening event is held each year and lets us celebrate the success of pupils.
Staff from each of the faculties put forward names of pupils they feel merit an award for the work, commitment, improvement etc. in their subject.
As an Academy we offer our pupils the opportunity to experience different cultures. Visits to France and Spain are very popular and educational.
Year 11 pupils and staff celebrate the end of the exam period and Academy year and staff get to wish the Year 11s good luck for the future.